Looking for a cheap meal prep recipe to last the week? Look no further. This vegetable-packed Roast Pumpkin & Zucchini Slice is not only filled with vitamins and minerals, but it’s also only $1.50 per serve! This slice is a great way to consume veggies at lunch, and the ingredients can also be substituted for any leftover vegetables you may have in the fridge.
Cutting back on your meat consumption not only helps the environment but it has shown to help reduce the risk of chronic conditions such as heart disease, diabetes and certain cancers. As most households base their dinner meal around meat, it’s a good habit to make your lunches vegetarian in order to cut down on your overall meat consumption.
Although this slice is vegetarian, it provides a good source of protein at 14g per serve! This is due to basing the dish on eggs and also adding high protein, low-fat cottage cheese. With the high protein and high fibre content of this slice, it’s guaranteed to keep you full all afternoon at work. At only $1.50 per serve it saves you $$ compared to expensive café sandwiches and meals.
Roast Pumpkin & Zucchini Slice
Prep: Approx. 15 minutes
Cost: ~$1.50 per serve
- 300g butternut pumpkin, chopped into ~1cm cubes
- 5 whole eggs
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 400g can creamed corn
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped finely
- 200g low fat cottage cheese
- 1 large zucchini, grated
- 1 large carrot, grated
- ½ punnet cherry tomatoes, chopped in half
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a ~30cmx10cm deep baking dish.
- Place chopped pumpkin in a dish and bake for ~25minutes or until pumpkin can be easily poked with a fork.
- Whisk eggs in a large mixing bowl with a fork. Add oil and whisk to combine. Add flour and fold through to combine.
- One at a time, add creamed corn, brown onion, cottage cheese, zucchini and carrot and mix carefully until everything is evenly mixed through.
- Once the pumpkin is cooked add to the mixture and fold through gently.
- Reline baking dish, ensuring edges are also covered with baking paper. Pour mixture into dish and spread out evenly.
- Top with tomatoes and then bake for ~25minutes or until when poked with a knife it comes out clean.
- Let cool for ~5minutes and ENJOY!
Roast Pumpkin & Zucchini Slice Nutrition Stats
|Nutrient||Per Serve||Per 100g|