It’s November and you know what that means?! The seedy moe’s are back out for another round of Movember! Marking the calendar every year, Movember campaign’s to highlight the importance of men’s health, both physically and mentally. As a dietetics organisation, men’s health is an issue that we can 100% support, and that is why we participate in Movember every year.
This year, our goal is to reach $2,000 – you can help us out by DONATING NOW!
In celebration of Movember, we’ve also decided to serve up our special men’s health Sausage Rolls, created and tested personally by our practitioners. These sausage rolls are high in antioxidants, which have shown to reduce the risk of certain types of cancer. Specifically, we’ve included a fresh tomato sauce as Lycopene (what makes the tomatoes red) is known for it’s link to prostate cancer.
Outside of that, this recipe is low in sodium (less than 120mg per 100g), low in saturated fat (less than 1g per 100g) and high in fibre (4.3g per serve). So, all in all, these are a great alternative for any bloke who loves a good servo sausage roll!
Sausage Rolls & Sauce
Prep time: Approx. 40 minutes
- Olive oil spray
- 300g textured vegetable protein mince OR Turkey mince
- ¾ cup wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ red onion, grated
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped finely
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped finely
- ½ medium red capsicum, chopped finely
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a medium baking tray and spray with oil.
- Place mince, breadcrumbs, egg, onion, carrot, zucchini, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, paprika, basil and cumin in a bowl. Season well and mix to combine. *Note: if mixture is too dry add extra tomato paste
- Place 1 sheet of filo pastry on a flat chopping board. Lightly spray with oil and add another sheet, spray with oil again and add a third sheet.
- Repeat process twice more to end up with 3 layered sheets.
- Spoon 1 third of mixture along a long edge of the pastry.
- Roll up pastry to enclose filling, spraying the edge lightly with oil to seal. Cut roll into 6 pieces and place on lined baking tray.
- Repeat for the other two sheets.
- Top with sesame seeds and place sausage rolls in the oven and bae for ~25-30 minutes or until golden.
- While sausage rolls are cooking to prepare sauce, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and capsicum and cook for ~3 minutes until fragrant but not brown.
- Add in tomatoes, honey, white vinegar, tomato paste and cinnamon and bring to a simmer for ~20minutes. Once reduced set aside to cool.
- Once sausage rolls are reading, let cool for ~1-2 minutes and enjoy with the sauce.
Sausage Rolls Nutrition Stats
|Nutrient||Per Serve||Per 100g|