Did you know adequate fibre throughout the day has been linked to reducing the risk of several chronic diseases (such as Heart Disease, Diabetes and certain Cancers)? Yes, it’s true? Food Standards Australia and New Zealand (FSANZ) promote the role of fibre in the modulation of blood glucose levels, reduction in blood cholesterol and laxation. So, in light of this, our dietitians have created this customised and dietitian-approved lasagne (packed full of fibre) recipe, for anyone who may be struggling with chronic disease or high cholesterol.
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into thin slices
- 3 medium zucchinis, cut into thin slices
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 500g turkey mince
- 700g jar of passata
- 2 cups frozen pea, carrot and corn
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon mixed herbs
- 6 sheets of wholemeal lasagna sheets
- 1 cup reduced-fat cottage cheese
- ½ cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a medium casserole dish with oil.
- Place eggplant and zucchini on a lined oven tray. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until soft.
- Heat a non-stick saucepan over medium heat, add onion and garlic and cook for 5-7 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the turkey mince and passata, stir and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add pea, carrot, corn, cumin, paprika and mixed herbs and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes
- Place lasagne sheets on the greased casserole dish. Layer with eggplant, zucchini, mince and then cottage cheese.
- Place another layer of lasagna sheets and repeat layering.
- Finish the top with a layer of lasagne sheets, cottage cheese and then the shredded cheese over the top.
- Place in the oven and cook for 20 min or until the top is golden.
- Let it cool and enjoy warm with a salad or portion up and refrigerate for meals throughout the week.
High-Fibre Lasagne Nutrition Stats
|Per serve||Per 100g|
The adequate intake of fibre for Men >19yrs is 30g/day while women (who aren’t pregnant or lactating) >19yrs need 25g/day. Therefore, this meal would provide a man in this category 1 third of their daily fibre needs.