Did you know, the fresh-looking vegemite scrolls you see at the bakery are actually really easy to make? You’d be surprised to know that you most likely already have the ingredients in your pantry too. So why not save yourself $$ and whip up these quick and easy vegemite scrolls.
These tasty scrolls are a great snack to have on the go especially on days when your activity levels are high. They are a great way to fuel your kids before and after sport, and only cost $0.25c per serve to make. Each scroll contains a good source of protein at over 9g per serve and a decent amount of fibre at ~5g per serve. This means that they will keep you full for longer and are a great alternative to more refined packaged snacks.
The other benefit of making them yourself is you can change up the filling to what you like. So if you aren’t a great lover of vegemite try swapping it for tomato paste and adding ham and pineapple along with the cheese.
Happy Little Vegemite Scrolls
Prep: Approx. 30 minutes
- 3 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
- Pinch salt
- 50g margarine, melted
- 1 – 1 ½ cups low fat milk
- 1 – 2 tbsp vegemite
- 1 cup grated cheese + extra to top
- Extra virgin olive oil spray
- Stir flour and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add melted butter and stir through well.
- Add milk ¼ cup at a time and stir until a dough starts to form.
*Add extra flour if the mixture is too sticky.
- Once the dough has formed move onto a lightly floured chopping board and knead for 3-5 minutes.
- Spread dough out into a rectangular style shape.
- Spread vegemite on top with a blunt fork.
- Sprinkle cheese on top leaving a handful spare.
- Roll dough into a cylinder. Chop into 4-8 sections.
- Place scrolls up right on a lined baking tray.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for ~15-20 minutes or until brown.
- Once cooked let cool for 2 minutes and enjoy!
Happy Little Vegemite Scrolls Nutrition Stats
|Nutrient||Per Serve||Per 100g|