Love a good lemonade on a hot summer’s day, but trying to cut down on your sugar? Well, our dietitian’s have got just the recipe for you! Try out this ‘Healthier Homemade Lemonade’ that was created and tested by one of our own practitioners. Not only is it lower in sugar, but the addition of chia seeds gives this drink the extra bit of kick you need!
With the addition of the chia seeds, each serving of this recipe has a number of other benefits, such as:
- Containing 6.5g of fibre which gives you approximately 25% of your daily fibre intake!
- Containing insoluble fibre specifically, which has shown to reduce the spike in blood sugar levels which in turn can help reduce the risk of diabetes or help manage your diabetes.
- Contain a high amount of polyunsaturated fatty acids with approximately 75% equating for omega-3 alpha-linolenic and 20% consist of omega-6 fatty acids. This helps promote a lower omega-6 to omega-3 ratio which has shown to help reduce inflammation and reduce the risk of heart disease.
And if that’s not reason enough, it’s pretty dang tasty! Let’s get into it!
Healthier Homemade Lemonade
Prep time: Approx. 20 minutes
- 5 fresh lemons
- 1/3 cup honey
- 4 cups soda water
- 2 tbsps chia seeds
- Ice and lemon wedges to serve
- Juice the lemons. Add lemon juice and honey to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add lemon juice to a jug along with soda water and chia seeds and stir well.
- Add ice and lemon wedges and enjoy!
Healthier Homemade Lemonade Nutrition Stats
|Per Serve||Per 100g|