It’s World Diabetes Day today and we’re celebrating with a Diabetes-friendly Berry & Walnut Tart! This year’s WDD campaign is all about nurses and the difference they can make in the lives of people with Diabetes. Nurses currently make up approximately half of the world’s health workforce, and the role that they play in the prevention and management of the condition is absolutely imperative.
So, what can a dietitian do for someone with Diabetes? A hell of a lot, that’s what! Dietitians are responsible for meal planning, nutrition education and integrating their work with the rest of a person’s health care team to ensure you are making the best possible food choices for your situation (without having to give up the things that you love).
A great example of exactly that is this Berry & Walnut Tart recipe created by one of our dietitians! With under 1 carbohydrate exchange per serve and the addition of polyunsaturated fats (to reduce the glycaemic load of the dish), this dish will help you avoid a sugar high or crash and is perfect to share with friends and family!
Berry & Walnut Tart
Prep time: Approx. 1.5 hours
- 2 cups (300g) unsalted, raw walnuts
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsps cornflour
- 1 tbsp cold water
- 4 cups (400g) fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 2 tsp raw sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- For the crust, blend walnuts, bicarb and salt in a food processor until fine. Add oil and pulse until combined.
- Spread the mixture on a lined and greased (27cm round) tart tin. Transfer to oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- For filling, mix cornflour and water together until it forms a thick consistency.
- Place blueberries, lemon juice, sugar and vanilla extract in a saucepan over low-medium heat. Stir in cornflour mixture and simmer until sauce thickens. Then refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Once cooled spoon berry mixture into the prepared tart. Chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
Berry & Walnut Tart Nutrition Stats
|Per Serve||Per 100g|